Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas at the Cabin

I really wish I had some pictures to post with this, but for some stupid reason I didn't bring my camera!!!

Monday
Melanie, Cody, Alana, Mom and I all headed up to the cabin for our week of Christmas and would meet up with the rest of the family later in the week. Well, we wanted to get a head start so we wouldn't get caught in the storm that was supposed to hit around 11:00 am. Well, we got stuck right in the middle of it!! After trying to drive up trapper's loop in Morgan county, we ended up turning around and having to drive up to Ogden canyon. It was an incredibly long and intense ride with all the slippery snow coming down on us. Lana was tons of fun and talked the entire four hours we were in the car. My favorite comment was her telling us that Santa is the only animal that doesn't hibernate in the winter time. Good to know!! She also informed me that I am not part of her immediate family but their dog Ruby is. Ouch!

After we got to Huntsville, we had to drop off some stuff at Dawson and Rainey's house before heading up to Causey. Melanie was so excited we were finally on our way to the cabin, she decided to do some doughnuts out of the driveway which ended up with us in the neighbors yard stuck in a very large pile of snow. We had to have the Hedges family push us out as well as the assistance of a local snow plow driver who was nice enough to stop and help. I was so upset I didn't have my camera to take a picture. It was quite exciting.
Spending time at the cabin was nice and relaxing. It was so nice to get away and not worry about school or life's other stresses.

One positive of the trip was that I have officially joined the "favorite Aunt's club!!" Every time Alana spends a significant amount of time with our family, she picks someone she claims is her favorite aunt. Because there are so many of us, the competition is high and lets face it, I don't really spend much time with her. Well, because I was the only aunt on this trip, I got to be her favorite!! I felt so honored.... so we got to spend our time at the cabin together bonding and sledding which was tons of fun.


Christmas Day

Christmas was lots of fun, we were able to enjoy all the fresh powder at the cabin by going sledding!! It was tons of fun... we even managed to dump Brent out of the snow mobile, something everyone has to experience at least once with our family.
I had to work at midnight, which meant that I had to drive home in the middle of the big storm that was supposed to hit. Kris, being the amazing brother that he is, volunteered to drive home with me so he could go snowboarding the next day and to make sure that I got home alright. Wow, it was the most exciting drive I have ever had. Kris drove his car first and I followed in his tracks to make sure that I could make it because my car doesn't drive so great in the snow. We never went over 25 mph and drove on snow packed roads the entire way. I really wondered if we would ever make it. I did enjoy slipping and sliding around everywhere though, I feel I am now somewhat of an experienced driver in the snow!!
Driving from Kaysville to Salt Lake was even scarier!! The freeway was incredibly slippery and was covered in snow. It was so beautiful. Somehow I made it safely to work and I even made it up the hill which is quite a feat, not everyone can do that in a snow storm!!


Work gets exciting
Things had been going pretty slow for the night when a patient came in who had slipped and fallen. The nurse found me to have be go back and get the patient checked in. As we were walking back to the room she asked me if I get queasy because it was pretty gross. I was trying to imagine what could possibly be so bad from someone falling down and I assumed they were just cut and had blood all over them. Well, upon entering the room I was surprised by the minimal amount of blood I saw, then I looked down at their leg. The entire bone was sticking our at their ankle and was bleeding all over the place!!! I have never seen a bone sticking out of the skin before and it really took me by surprise. Wow, I almost fell over, fortunately I didn't pass out or anything, it actually looked pretty interesting... which just seems wrong.

No comments: