Sunday, March 17, 2013

Quilting-

I was looking at my info today on Facebook and discovered that I had a blog!  I had completely forgotten I had set this thing up several years ago to entertain myself during the long hours I spent working all night in the ER.  I had joked several times with JoyAnne about setting up a blog to document my search for a hobby so I figured this was the perfect opportunity.

A couple of years ago, I was introducing myself to a new group and one of the questions I was asked was what my hobbies were and I was stumped.  It took me by surprise but I didn't seem to have an answer.  I had a few things I enjoyed doing but as far as a consistent hobby or area of my life that I could be passionate about, I didn't have.  So for the past couple of years, one of my resolutions has been to find a hobby or something that I could love doing.  As I've worked toward that goal, I've had several failed attempts and the more I think about them the more humorous they are so I figured it would be fun to share and see where I grow and change.

One of my favorite hobby experiences so far has been my attempt at quilting.  I think the main issue I've had with hobbying is a lack of focus or attention.  I come up with a great idea, get myself all excited, buy the supplies, jump into it... and never finish.  Haha, I have a corner of my room dedicated to unfinished projects.  Perhaps this will help motivate me to do something with those.

So, several years ago... 3 to be exact, I had recieved a sewing machine for Christmas and wanted to prove that it was worth the purchase by using it.  I had visions in my head of dazzling everyone with my skill.  I wandered around the fabric store and found some 4 inch strips of fabric that I thought would make for a fun pattern and would be less work for me.  I dealt with the anxiety of selecting batting and a backing and came home excited to start. 

I spent the entire day laying everything out, cutting, sewing and even ironing which was something I thought was completley unnecessary.  I managed to get the front all sewn together before I ran out of time.  It was tons of fun and kept me entertained for a day.  So, of course, I folded the project up and stuffed it in the corner for another day when I was bored and had the time to work on it. 

Unfortunately, my cat found it to be a comfortable place to rest and eventually ended up using it as a litter box.  So, I cleaned it up as much as I could and threw my half-finished quilt in the wash.  Because my sewing skills were so stellar, the quilt came out in one piece however the fabric frayed because I didn't have a surger to finish the edges.  No problem, I figured that could all be hidden on the inside when the project was done.  Again, it got folded up and thrown in the corner.

This last December (2012) I found myself bored again, and knew it was one of my resolutions to finish it by the end of the year, I decided I'd pull it out and finsih it! I had been stumped on how to quilt it, what kind of a design would make it look amazing, but would be differen't than the normal straight lines I generally saw on quilts. I came up with a design and spent another day working to complete it. I didn't get far, but again it made for a fun day. A few days later, as fate would have it, the cat found it again and soiled it. I was beginning to think he had some personal issue with my desire to be crafty. I cleaned the poor thing off again and threw it in the wash. This time, my sewing skills didn't hold up and my precious quilt came out in several pieces, completly shredded and frayed. Far beyond saving. All I could do was laugh at my failed attempt that I had spent years working to prove I had some sort of crafty ability. So I held my quilt pieces, thought of all the good times we'd had together, and tossed it into the trash.


 

Here we have the guilty party trying to look innocent...

R.I.P.-
I've been defeated by this project, but haven't given up yet.  I still plan on making one successfully!

No comments: